What should I bring?
- Bug spray
- Poison ivy lotion
- Backpack or cloth tote bag for your field equipment (Plastic will rip.)
- Lunch, water bottle, and snacks
- Small cooler for lunch
- Insurance card (You should get a tetanus booster if you have not had one recently.)
- Clothes that you don’t mind being ruined (The soil will leave a permanent stain.)
- We suggest long pants. You may wear shorts, but they are not as suitable, considering the weather, terrain, and hazards, including sharp rocks.
- Sweatshirt or jacket to ward off the chill of May and June in central Pennsylvania
- Rain gear (We continue to work in rain if possible.)
- Shoes with thick soles (For safety reasons, no sandals are allowed in the field.)
- Work gloves (NOT gardening gloves)
What is provided?
- All field equipment
- Water cooler (You should bring a filled bottle every day, as well.)
- Portable toilet
- First aid kit
How will I get to the site?
The site is in easy walking distance to campus and downtown State College. It is located at Penn State’s Arboretum. Each morning, students will either gather at the site or in the lobby of Carpenter Building, depending on the weather.
Am I allowed to smoke?
Smoking will not be allowed in the vans or at the site. We must place this restriction because of the risk of forest fires. We may only work at the dig site as long as we do not cause harm to people, animals, or the environment.
If I become ill, will I have access to a medical facility?
The Mount Nittany Medical Center is about one mile from the site. If you fall ill, a staff member will drive you to the hospital.
May I bring visitors to the site?
Clear any visitors with the field supervisor before their arrival at the site. We understand that you might like to show your parents or friends what you are doing, but we need to minimize disruption during the day. No children (under 18) can visit the site unless they are accompanied by their parents.
How will I be graded?
There will be no exams or papers in this field school.
The field director and staff will grade your performance by the following criteria:
- Willingness to try diverse tasks
- Willingness to work hard and in a timely fashion
- Attention to and accuracy in paperwork, bag inventory, and other detailed tasks
- Contributions to discussions
*Daily attendance is required. Since your grade is heavily dependent on participation, only serious reasons for missing a day will be considered.